The Skills Workshops is an original teaching structure making it possible to acquire and validate various practical skills. This program is unique in French-speaking Belgium and offers a wide variety of transdisciplinary workshops, with the opportunity to customize one’s training. The workshops are offered from the 2nd year of the bachelor’s degree program to the 2nd year of the master’s degree program.
The workshops are organized around 4 pillars:
- Development of relational and managerial skills:
- skills of communication and interaction, such as public presentation, negotiation, selling techniques and team work,
- more operational skills, such as training in the use of certain tools such as SAP or Matlab.
- Development of creativity and the spirit of entrepreneurship: these workshops, which often take the form of integrated projects, range all the way from the design of an entrepreneurial project to its full implementation.
- Development of a critical approach and a sense of ethics:
- by the organization of debates on case studies,
- by role-playing analysis,
- by the sharing of participants’ individual experiences.
- Planning a future career:
- careful consideration of a future career,
- training in writing a CV and a cover letter,
- various activities geared to making contacts that will be of interest for one’s future career.
The strengths of the Skills Portfolio
- Intensive training courses over a short period (4 or 5 four-hour sessions)
- Based on “learning by doing”: workshops focused on practice, regular customized debriefings, expert advice
- Close student-teacher relationship: small groups (between 10 and 20 students per group); continuous assessment based on individual progress etc.
- Interdisciplinary approach enabling students to make interesting contacts while customizing their program
- Workshops taught by specialists.
For good professional integration
On completion of their studies, students receive, together with their degree, a certificate of the Skills Portfolio listing the various activities followed. This certificate gives a distinctive advantage and proves to potential employers that graduates are fully aware of transversal skills, while showing their own particular interest in the subject.